MUSIC FREAK - IMAGINE DRAGONS "MERCURY - ACT I" (review)

Imagine Dragons, one of the most popular pop-rock bands of the 2010s, have created their next album entitled "Mercury - Act I". The album was promoted on radio stations and youtube with the singles "Cutthroat", "Follow you" and "Wrecked" which were very diverse in terms of music. And so is the whole album. Is it an advantage or a disadvantage? Well, the die-hard fans probably won't mind, but will the new album make new fans of the band? Frankly speaking I doubt...



Let's start with the singles, of which I was most captivated by the heart-stirring 'Wrecked'. Imagine Dragons expose all their strengths. Gentle verses are mixed with an energetic chorus. An amazing hit! 
On the other hand, "Follow you" is a wonderful mixture of the band's style, melodiousness is combined with a cheerful mood of the composition. Another shot in the arm! 
We are left with the slightly experimental "Cutthroat", where the vocalist's scream sounds unusual and is an exciting departure from the band's everyday life. 
In my opinion, a successful musical experiment! 



What about other songs? Well, sometimes it is better, sometimes worse.
From the very beginning I have an impression that in some places the final touches were missing.
Starting with "My life", where the song seems to develop, but the idea for a powerful chorus was clearly missing. 
"Lonely" is, despite the subject matter, a positive track with an ear-pleasing vibrating and rocking rhythm.
"Dull Knives" seems to be a willingness to open up to the emo rock aesthetic, as Imagine Dragons draw wholeheartedly from the music of My Chemical Romance. For me a successful experiment, although it doesn't change my perception of the band.



What about the other pieces? I am sorry to say it, but the remaining 6 recordings pass without any reaction for the listener. The melodies are unfortunately not outstanding and the melody lines were better. However, I appreciate the lyrics which are serious and often deal with wise life issues and dilemmas. 



All in all, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, we have some potential hits here. On the other hand, I expected a polished album with a lot of cool melodies. What I got was an average product at best. If Imagine Dragons ever release a "Greatest Hits" compilation, the most they'll get from "Mercury - Act I" is "Wrecked" and "Follow you"...

FINAL SCORE: 6/10

Comments